Welcome to the Website for the Trinity Church of Stranraer
Church of Scotland in Stranraer
The Trinity Church of Stranraer, a Grade B listed building, is one of two Church of Scotland churches in the town of Stranraer, situated in South West Scotland.
Origin of the Trinity Church of Stranraer
Trinity Church was created on 27th June 2013 when St Ninian’s Church closed and the congregation united with the Town Kirk of Stranraer. The Town Kirk was itself created by the union of Stranraer Old Parish church and St Andrew’s Parish Church on the closure of the former in 2005. Trinity Church uses the premises of the former St Andrew’s Church of Scotland. Trinity Church is now linked with Inch Church and Portpatrick Church.
In June 1926, Ivy Place United Free Church united with St Marks Free Church to form St Andrew’s United Free Church. Then in 1929, after the union of that year, the church changed its name once again to St Andrew’s Church of Scotland.
Trinity Church, being the successor to the Town Kirk, has taken over the civic duties previously undertaken by the Old Parish church. The Minister now has a much increased burden of duties as he is also the minister of the linked churches, albeit with assistance. Inch Church is a couple of miles outside the town and on the outskirts of the village of Castle Kennedy. Inch was previously united with the former Lochryan and Glenapp Church, in Cairnryan, when that church closed in the spring of 1985. Portpatrick lies some 8 miles west of Stranraer on the coast facing Northern Ireland; the church was previously linked with St Ninian’s Church.
The minister of Inch linked with the Trinity Church of Stranraer is Rev John H Burns BSc BD, a native of Dingwall who graduated from St Andrews University. He was an assistant in London before his ordination and induction to Inch and Stranraer St Andrew’s Churches in 1988.
Trinity Church of Stranraer is on the South side of London Road, near its junction with Hanover Street. On the opposite side of the road is Morrisons Supermarket. There is parking for a small number of cars beside the church but we are able to use the car park opposite (for a maximum of 3 hours) during events held in the church, as well as for Sunday services, weddings and funerals.
View Larger Map
Both the church and hall can be accessed by those in wheelchairs using the back door. A car can be brought up to the back door which is on the same level as the car park. The are spaces specially allocated for wheel chairs users and their carers. There is now a new toilet suitable for wheel chair users.
The speaker system has been upgraded and as a result the reception has been greatly improved. There is an induction loop system for those hard of hearing.
A raised bookboard to support hymnbooks is available, particularly for those with sight problems who use a device to magnify the print. A large number of large print hymnbooks are available.
Unless there are other events taking place e.g. a coffee morning, a funeral or a wedding, it is intended that the church be open to the public on Saturday mornings during the summer months and at other times by arrangement.